Cycle for the Future Internship
Brief Description: This intern will work directly with the Cycle for the Future Event Planner of Special Olympics Missouri. The intern will have opportunities to help recruit participants, plan ancillary event, work on publicity all to raise money through this unique event. This is a pro bono position based in Jefferson City and the intern will be expected to work roughly 15 hours per week.
Details: Internship length and hours are flexible, depending on the student’s needs. Intern would need a weekly presence in the office – ideally at least 2 days per week. Full days in the office aren’t required as some work can be done from home.
Event Details: Cycle for the Future is a two-day cycling fundraiser on the Katy Trail where riders have the option of riding from St. Charles to Jefferson City or Clinton to Jefferson City. The event takes place Sept. 20-21, 2014. Along the route, riders will have the opportunity to volunteer at “demonstration stops” where SOMO athletes will come and take part in a 1.5-2-hour demonstration on cycling. For more information on the ride, visit www.somo.org/cycleforthefuture.
Examples of tasks in priority order include:
- Actively recruit participants
- Communicate effective messages about the event and Special Olympics Missouri to the public
- Ensure CftF “Best Practices” are being followed
- Distribute participant packets
- Draft E-comm messages to constituents
- Monitor participant registration system
- Come up with ideas to help plan the logistics of the event
- Provide logistical support to event planner and committee
- Onsite at event – photography, customer service, media relations, sponsor relations
- Liaison for potential sponsors and donors
Qualifications: The ideal candidate should be creative and enthusiastic, flexible, independent and be willing to join a team that works very hard to carry out the mission of Special Olympics Missouri. Experience and education in business management, journalism, public relations or communications and some special events fundraising experience is preferred.
Timeframe: Start ASAP and ends shortly after the ride in late September (We can work around your school schedule once it starts up again in August)
Application Instructions: Send in your resume and cover letter to Brandon Schatsiek at email@example.com.
Contact Information: Brandon Schatsiek, Public Relations Coordinator; 573-635-1660, firstname.lastname@example.org